Ongoing Volvo goings-on

And hopefully soon to be outgoing.

As today was largely a taken up by Alfa coupe madness, I did not, as I had intended to do, spend the day prepping the Volvo for sale. I did give it a pretty serious bath (discovery: Fast Orange is an ‘unorthodox but effective’ way to get rid of greasy fingerprints) and started messing with the twin SUs that do all the carburatin’ duty on this car. It runs ok but the idle and acceleration are bad, so I think the carbs are at least out of sync, and likely need individual tuning as well.

But first some back story. This car needed a number of very real fixes. (Warning: I took pictures of none of them, so this will not be a very interesting read.) To wit:

  • Problem: brake calipers stuck beyond hope.
    Solution: replace calipers with new.
    Outcome: fine, except booster is shot so is being bypassed.
  • Problem: trunk opener doesn’t work.
    Solution: use clothes hanger wire to fabricate new connecting rod for latch mechanism.
    Outcome: trunk opens. Yay.
  • Problem: rear main seal failing miserably.
    Solution: drop the transmission (extremely not-fun), remove flywheel and assorted gizmoids, R&R rear main seal with a new one that uses a rubber compound instead of horse fur or whatever it was inside the original.
    Outcome: permanent damage to whatever I was wearing throughout this job; lots of bleeding and swearing; leak fixed.
  • Problem: hood brackets broken, hood off.
    Solution: replace with good used units, reattach hood.
    Outcome: fully hooded.

Cool, lots of progress, right? Once I got the hood back on, I gave the old Amazon a bath. Here she is pre-wash:

The hood fit remarkably well considering I was eyeballing all measurements and using my head (!) to hold it in place as I frantically tried to secure the thing onto its brackets.

The hood fit remarkably well considering a) I was eyeballing all measurements, b) the brackets were from another car, and c) I was using my head (ironic, I know) to hold it in place as I frantically tried to secure the thing onto the brackets. Side note: there is no shortage of unfortunate dents on this car.

And then the after shot, still wet with water but hey, that’s how they do it on eBay.

The 122, all nice and shiny. Three minutes later, wetness turns to dryness and shiny turns to dull. But hey, its cleaner.

The 122, all nice and shiny. Three minutes later, wetness turns to dryness and shiny turns to dull. But hey, it's cleaner.

The carbs need tuning still, and the driver side window winder is messed up so the window is permanently down… Otherwise it’s about ready for a drive up to the Oakland hills and some nice Buy It Now photography.

Oh, and if you’re one of my 9 readers today and actually want to buy this car (cheap, very cheap), let me know!

Be Sociable, Share!

One Response to “Ongoing Volvo goings-on”

  1. Dan Says:

    my 122 hood went on the exact same way. frantically bolting it down w/ the support of my noggin. Hinges from another car… fit perfect/better than it did with the original hinges. First try. Go figure.

Leave a Reply